Now, you too can become a CannyNurse™
We are excited to bring you the first cannabis nurse training program of its kind. This 12-week program is comprehensive enough to teach you what you need to know to start your career as a cannabis nurse in just 4 hours per week. Complete your annual CEU requirements and learn all you need to know to help your patients navigate the therapeutic world of cannabis.
Click image for a larger view and press play (below) to listen to an audio explanation of the following infographic.
Ariana earned her Masters Degree in Advancing Nursing Practice from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland, UK in 2010. For a sample of Ariana’s scholarly work, view her Master’s dissertation entitled “Researching Complex Interventions and Holistic Biofield Therapies: A Proposed Phenomenological Study of Reiki” by clicking the title.
- October 2020 —
“45% of adult primary care patients reported using cannabinoids in the past year. Only 18% of patients reported their provider as being a good source of information regarding cannabis” (Wershoven et al., 2020, p.1).
Wershoven, N., Kennedy, A. G., & MacLean, C. D. (2020). Use and Reported Helpfulness of Cannabinoids Among Primary Care Patients in Vermont. Journal of primary care & community health, 11, 2150132720946954. https://doi.org/10.1177/2150132720946954
Ready to learn more?
Cohort 1 begins June 2021.
- The Marist Poll. (2017, April). Weed & the American Family. Yahoo News. http://maristpoll.marist.edu/yahoo-newsmarist-poll/#sthash.pIncI5zv.dpbs
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (2018).Key substance use and mental health indicators in the United States: Results from the 2017 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/cbhsq-reports/NSDUHFFR2017/NSDUHFFR2017.pdf
- Silver, R. J. (2019). The Endocannabinoid System of Animals. Animals, 9(9), 686. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani9090686
- Evanoff, A. B., Quan, T., Dufault, C., Awad, M., & Bierut, L. J. (2017). Physicians-in-training are not prepared to prescribe medical marijuana. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 180, 151–155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2017.08.010
- Hartley, M. (2020, January 10). Why isn’t the endocannabinoid system taught in medical schools?Leafly.com. https://www.leafly.com/news/science-tech/cannabis-endocannabinoid-system-in-medical-school.
- Balneaves, L. G., Alraja, A., Ziemianski, D., McCuaig, F., & Ware, M. (2018). A National Needs Assessment of Canadian Nurse Practitioners Regarding Cannabis for Therapeutic Purposes. Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research, 3(1), 66–73. https://doi.org/10.1089/can.2018.0002
- Gardiner, K. M., Singleton, J. A., Sheridan, J., Kyle, G. J., & Nissen, L. M. (2019). Health professional beliefs, knowledge, and concerns surrounding medicinal cannabis – A systematic review. PLOS ONE, 14(5), e0216556. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0216556
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. (2017). The health effects of cannabis and cannabinoids: The current state of evidence and recommendations for research. The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/24625
- USPTO. (2003, October 7). US Patent 6,630,507. US Patent & Trademark Office, Patent Full Text and Image Database. http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,630,507.PN.&OS=PN/6,630,507&RS=PN/6,630,507.
- MacCallum, C. A., & Russo, E. B. (2018). Practical considerations in medical cannabis administration and dosing. European Journal of Internal Medicine, 49, 12–19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2018.01.004
- Wilson, N., Kariisa, M., Seth, P., Smith, H., 4th, & Davis, N. L. (2020). Drug and Opioid-Involved Overdose Deaths – United States, 2017-2018. MMWR. Morbidity and mortality weekly report, 69(11), 290–297. https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6911a4
- Solowij, N., Galettis, P., Broyd, S. J., de Krey, P., & Martin, J. H. (2018). Second-Hand Exposure of Staff Administering Vaporised Cannabinoid Products to Patients in a Hospital Setting. Drugs in R&D, 18(1), 41–44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40268-017-0225-5
- Reinhart, B. R. J. (2020, September 11). Nurses Continue to Rate Highest in Honesty, Ethics. Gallup.com.https://news.gallup.com/poll/274673/nurses-continue-rate-highest-honesty-ethics.aspx
- Laurant, M., van der Biezen, M., Wijers, N., Watananirun, K., Kontopantelis, E., & van Vught, A. J. (2018). Nurses as substitutes for doctors in primary care. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews,7(7), CD001271. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD001271.pub3
- NCSBN Medical Marijuana Guidelines Committee. (2018). The NCSBN National Nursing Guidelines for Medical Marijuana. Journal of Nursing Regulation,9(2), S1–S60. https://doi.org/10.1016/s2155-8256(18)30082-6