Think you have to sacrifice luxury while you’re growing your business? Think again.
Many people think that luxury is something only money can buy. It’s not.
More than anything, living luxuriously is a mindset that can actually help your business grow. Luxuriating is about slowing down, enjoying the present moment, and not worrying about the future or fretting about the past.
Here are 10 easy way to embrace a luxurious mindset in your daily life.
- Take long(er) showers. Take a utilitarian necessity and turn it into a pleasurable experience. Don’t rush through it, listen to podcasts, or think about work; just focus on the relaxation that comes from hot water on your muscles.
- Stop to smell the flowers. If you read my article, “Can You Smell Your Way to a Better Brain? Science Says Yes.“ you already know how powerful scent can be.
- Watch the sun rise or set. We often do this on vacation, but how often do you do this at home? Watching nature has been shown to calm the body’s nervous system, so watching a sunset is a great way to relax before bed.
- Get more sleep. Try going to bed 30 minutes earlier than normal–that little extra time may be what you need to feel more rested.
- Get up 15 minutes earlier. I know this seems to be the opposite of number 4, but if you feel rushed in the morning before work, having a few extra minutes can set you up for a successful day.
- Lounge around in bed 1 day a week. Do you get up early on vacation? What could be more luxurious that lounging around in bed with your cappuccino, coffee, or tea? It’s certainly better than rushing up and getting straight into action!
- Make your meals beautiful. Rushing through meals is more likely to result in indigestion, and mindless eating can easily lead to weight gain or ill health. Instead, pay attention to what you’re eating, make the presentation visually appealing, and sit down to enjoy it (without your TV, computer, or smartphone). And remember this: cloth napkins look nice AND reduce waste in the landfill.
- Choose quality over quantity. When you do spend money, think through your purchases. Are you buying something cheap that you will have to replace sooner rather than later? This can cost you more money in the long run than buying a quality item in the present. My dad still has the shoes he wore to his wedding 40 years ago. He periodically gets them re-soled, and they look as good as new–because they were originally made well.
- Take a virtual vacation. For five minutes, imagine yourself on your favorite beach, shushing down the ski slopes, hiking through a rain forest, hot air ballooning over the grand canyon, or whatever else brings you joy and takes you away from your desk and into fun.
- Stretch like a panther. Have you ever noticed how when a big cat like a lion, puma, or panther stretches, they look like they’re really enjoying it? Simply pay attention to how feels to stretch your muscles and yawn. You’re accomplishing two great things with that–oxygenating your brain and moving your body.
What do all of these things have in common? Each one gives you a mental, emotional, or physical break that will refresh and recharge you. Try at least one of these now, and plan to do one luxurious thing a day for the next 2 weeks. You’ll be amazed at how good it feels, and when you’re ready to take that luxurious lifestyle on the road, check out my article, 9 Ways to Take A Luxurious Vacation Without Breaking the Bank.